Translate

28 March 2025

Online fraud causes over RM19 million in losses from Jan 1 to March 24 - Bukit Aman



Online fraud causes over RM19 million in losses from Jan 1 to March 24 - Bukit Aman

Bernama

27/03/2025


The public is advised to be cautious of deals which seem too good to be true, and to conduct transactions only through secure and reputable e-commerce platforms. - FREEPIK




KUALA LUMPUR: Online purchase fraud cases have risen by 36.9 per cent from Jan 1 to Monday (March 24), compared with the same period last year, with 2,328 cases recorded, resulting in losses exceeding RM19 million.

Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) acting director Datuk Rohaimi Md Isa said during the same period last year, 1,700 cases were reported, resulting in losses amounting to RM13.66 million.

"As the festive season approaches, online shopping will be a popular choice for many consumers. Therefore, the police urge the public to remain vigilant when making purchases," he said.

The public is advised to be cautious of deals which seem too good to be true, and to conduct transactions only through secure and reputable e-commerce platforms.

Additionally, Rohaimi emphasised the importance of checking reviews and feedback from other buyers and verifying the seller's account number and phone number through the Semak Mule (https://semakmule.rmp.gov.my/) portal, before making any payments.

Meanwhile, Rohaimi said that his team had identified an online fraud syndicate, using an e-commerce platform poster 'Ramadan Bersama Shopee', to deceive buyers.

He explained that the syndicate manipulates the poster by inserting the victim's phone number as a contest winner.

"The victim is then contacted by the syndicate and instructed to activate 'shopeepaylater' to claim the so-called prize, before being asked to scan a QR code," he said.

"After scanning the QR code, the victim discovered that money had been deducted from their bank account. So far, a police report has been lodged in Selangor, involving a loss of RM3,006.03, and the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code," he said.

-- BERNAMA

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED

A visitor from Subang jaya viewed 'CIDB mohon maaf, tarik balik kenyataan | BEST FBKL' 1 hr 31 mins ago
A visitor from Maryland viewed 'BEST FBKL' 2 hrs 8 mins ago
A visitor from Maryland viewed 'Trump imposes 24% reciprocal tariffs on Malaysia, ' 2 hrs 9 mins ago
A visitor from Batu caves viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 2 hrs 59 mins ago
A visitor from Subang jaya viewed 'Penjawat awam nyaris terkena tembakan, polis siasa' 4 hrs 7 mins ago
A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 4 hrs 59 mins ago
A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 5 hrs 9 mins ago
A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 7 hrs 19 mins ago
A visitor from Shah alam viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 7 hrs 20 mins ago
A visitor from Batu caves viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 7 hrs 27 mins ago