Translate

18 April 2023

The sudden passing of Lawyer Datuk Wong Rhen Yen in Melbourne catches many by surprise, his final words in an email has gone viral

Datuk Wong Rhen Yen


Victorians and the legal fraternity received shocking news today on the passing of Datuk Wong Rhen Yen in Melbourne,  Australia this morning. 

He was undergoing treatment for Esophagus Cancer.

He was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 1996 as an advocate & solicitor and the founder partner of M/s Dennis Nik & Wong. 

He had vast experience in the area of civil litigation,  as well as in the law of insolvency specializing in commercial and corporate cases.

He was the School Captain of Victoria Institution Kuala Lumpur in 1990.

Not much details have been given with regards to his funeral arrangement at this moment of time.



An E-mail note that is believed to be penned by him has gone viral.

Brothers and sisters, friends and all who have known me,

1. By the time, I send this email, I know that my end is near. 

2. I will be lying if I were to tell you that when I was first diagnosed with cancer sometime in December 2022, I took it calmly. First, it hit me at my most precious commodity that is my voice. The inability to articulate in court , to cross examine witnesses with my old booming voice traumatized me for the first few weeks. Imagine you have a doctor who tells you in the face that you do not have more than 1 year to live.

3. Second, the constant concealment and brave front I had to put up was very difficult to say the least. At a relatively young age of 51, I still have my parents who are still around. Two beautiful daughters from 2 marriages. How about telling Dennis Appaduray, my partners and associates , our brothers and sisters, my secretary , Latifah , Linda, Azmar and Agnes and all our  staffs  and the liquidation team who have been with me for so many years? How about our clients ? It felt like a bad dream.

4. Third, December 2022 and January 2023, were difficult months to live to say the least. First, our Dawn Chu passed on. Then we have Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram passing on in January 2023.  I could not even attend both their funerals.

5. Fourth, I was generally a health conscious person. Apart from the binge drinking, I was very careful with my food intake and exercise regularly.

5. Alas, God has better plans for me. Maybe God want me to accompany GSR in another platform. Or even Madam Lim of Metroplex. 

6. In January 2023, I decided to tell my wife and my ex wife of my medical condition. Upon the advice by my ex wife, Su Mei, I have decided to seek treatment from the renowned cancer hospital, Peter Mac in Melbourne.   

7. Arrived here on 24 Jan 2023. I was immediately placed in hospital for an endoscopy procedure pending the  approval by the hospital me to use their trial drugs. The rest as they say is history which I don’t wish to repeat here. 

8. In the short  time  I walked the earth, I know that I have lived life to the fullest. The phrase, “play hard work harder “ seems to have inspired a lot of people.  

9. Please treat my death as a reason to celebrate. We drink to this occasion. Life will always go on . And in the words of Freddie Mercury, the show must go on . 

10. To everyone out there, thank you for your fellowship and friendship. I will see you when I see you.




Personally, I am deeply saddened by the passing away of Datuk Wong Rhen Yen as was not only like a brother I never had but a best friend  and my attorney too. 

He was a childhood friend since I was 7 years old.

One year my junior, we went to school at Victoria Institution and have always kept in touch till now....

He will be sorely missed..... Till We Meet Again My Bro..... Rest In Peace!

My deepest sorrow and deep felt condolences to his bereaved family.




LATEST UPDATE 25 APRIL 2023 - 

WAKE & FUNERAL SERVICE



Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED