Translate

20 January 2014

4 Dead and 7 Missing in Longboat Tragedy Carrying Guest From A Rural Wedding

Missing father’s precious last words

   
DARO: Sobbing at the operations centre in Kampung Saei, Mahidi Ripi said he did not expect that the call from his father on Saturday morning would be the last time he would hear his dad’s voice.


His father, Ripi Dalol, 60, is among seven passengers still missing in Sungai Besar, after strong waves caused the longboat carrying guests from a rural wedding, to overturn at Batang Lassa.
Survivors told rescuers they had attended the wedding in Kampung Saei and were taking the boat back to their home village in Kampung Tekajong when disaster struck.
Four bodies have been fished out so far from the treacherous waters. Sixteen people survived the tragedy, which different sources said had occurred between 11.40am and 1pm on Saturday.
Masidi, who works with a palm oil mill in Sibu, said during his last phone conversation with his father, hours before the tragedy, he was told to “take good care of the family and to work diligently.”
He said at around 2.45pm he had another call, this time from a village friend who told him the longboat carrying his father had capsized.
“I was shocked,” said Masidi, his teary-eyed sister by his side.
Meanwhile Hasbi Maiji, 24, sobbed that his father-in-law’s cherished dream to go perform the haj in Mecca has now been buried in the watery grave.
“He was on the standby list,” said Hasbi, adding that he learned his father-in-law Borhan Berdan, 65 was on the “missing persons” list when he heard the devastating news at about 2pm. The others still missing are Madini Akim, 55; Naibi Saibi, 60; Abu Bakar Mahli, 62; Kalsum Mat, 50; and Ibong Rais, 60.
The victims pulled out from the river were identified as Melati Zerae, 50; Sekiah Kipli, 49; Meliah Murni, 55; and Nursiah Abdullah, 40.
Meanwhile, Daro district police chief DSP Wagner Lisa said the longboat carrying the 27 passengers was believed to have been hit by strong waves, causing the craft to overturn.
“Along the ride home, according to the survivors, they saw big waves.
“They decided to make a detour but somehow the waves hit the back, causing the boat to overturn,” he told reporters yesterday.
DSP Wagner, who is heading the search and rescue operations, said they have not completed their investigation on the tragedy.
He said, at the moment, they had only accepted the story from the survivors

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED

A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 1 min ago
A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 2 hrs 11 mins ago
A visitor from Shah alam viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 2 hrs 12 mins ago
A visitor from Batu caves viewed 'Thailand ready to negotiate with US after being im' 2 hrs 19 mins ago
A visitor from Kuala lumpur viewed 'Penjawat awam nyaris terkena tembakan, polis siasa' 2 hrs 33 mins ago
A visitor from Subang jaya viewed 'CIDB mohon maaf, tarik balik kenyataan | BEST FBKL' 2 hrs 35 mins ago
A visitor from Subang jaya viewed 'Penjawat awam nyaris terkena tembakan, polis siasa' 2 hrs 35 mins ago
A visitor from Oslo viewed 'FBM KLCI susut 0.5 peratus susulan jualan saham wa' 2 hrs 36 mins ago
A visitor from Batu caves viewed 'BEST FBKL' 2 hrs 37 mins ago
A visitor from Oslo viewed 'Permaisuri Agong berkenan ziarah Makam Diraja Buki' 2 hrs 41 mins ago