Translate

23 March 2016

"I will never forget the 1992 Constitutional crisis. I still remember how my family was treated by Federal Government officers," said TMJ

TMJ remembers 1992 Constitutional crisis


PETALING JAYA: Reflecting on events of the 1992 Constitutional crisis when the royalty were stripped of their legal immunity, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim said he hoped to focus on the betterment of the country and also reaffirmed his commitment to the people of Johor.
"I will never forget the 1992 Constitutional crisis. I still remember how my family was treated by Federal Government officers," the Johor Crown Prince said in a post on the Johor Southern Tigers Facebook page Wednesday.
"I remember things such as trying to disband the Johor Military Force, Johor Exco members were told not to receive my late grandfather at the airport, how JKR was told not to fix and maintain anything at any of the Johor Palaces," he said.
Tunku Ismail said that his mother was even stopped by Malaysian customs in Johor on their home from Singapore, adding that she was told to step out of the car because they wanted to inspect it.
"I still remember everything and I the individuals responsible for it," he said.
Two alleged incidents of assault involving Johor royalty were the starting points of the 1992 Constitutional crisis that escalated into a special Parliamentary session in December 1992 that saw passing of a unanimous resolution to curb the powers of rulers.
This eventually led to the 1993 amendments to the Federal Constitution, which stripped royals of their legal immunity.
Tunku Ismail said these events were in the past, remarking that "God is great and karma is a beautiful thing".
"Today, the relationship between the Government and the Johor royal family is good," he said.
However, he expressed hope that this was not because the Government needed the support of the royalty now, but was an understanding that both sides needed each other.
"At this time, the focus should be to correct the mistakes and progress as a nation. I hope such dark history you created for your thirst of greed and power will not happen again.
"Do not manipulate the people for the sake of self interest because you are elected to serve the people.
"I pray that we can focus on making this nation of ours a better place in the future, for the sake of the people," said Tunku Ismail.
He also told Johoreans that he would serve the state and its people as was his duty.
"I love you. I'm born to serve you till the day I die and that is my responsibility. My priority is to uphold your rights as Johoreans, and your welfare. Remember this always.
"The strength of Johor's sovereignty is unity. Always remain united as Johoreans so no one can push us around. We decide what's good for us," he said.

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED