Translate

24 December 2016

19-year-old Indonesian maid allegedly abused by her employer is to be placed at the Indonesian Embassy


Indonesian maid to stay at embassy



Badly bruised: Suyanti ran away because she had reached her breaking point.




PETALING JAYA: A 19-year-old Indonesian maid allegedly abused by her employer is to be placed at the Indonesian Embassy while her case is under investigation.

Indonesian Ambassador to Malaysia Herman Prayitno said his staff members were in touch with the police and visited the maid at the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC).

“Once she is discharged, she will stay in the embassy while waiting for the case (to be investigated),” he said.

He hoped that employers and employees can understand each other and work together as stipulated in their contracts.



“Employers shouldn’t mistreat their workers.

“I hope that the perpetrator can be brought to justice and face the consequences of her action,” he said.

Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat ruled out more arrest.

He said a 43-year-old woman, who is the maid’s employer, had been detained but dispelled talk that she was a Datin. A remand order for her detention until next Wednesday has been obtained by the police.

Petaling Jaya Deputy OCPD Supt Mohd Ali Thamby said the maid was in a stable condition.

“We hope the public can refrain from speculating on the matter,” he said.

The maid, who only wished to known as Suyanti, claimed that she had been working for her employer for two weeks.

“I was slapped and punched every day while being called an animal. I feared for my life,” she said.

Suyanti, from Medan, said she was not allowed to bathe and was only permitted to eat once a day.

“I was hoping that my employer will change her ways someday.

“However, I reached my breaking point.

“One day, I climbed a ladder near a fence of the house and jumped over. I ran as fast as I could until I collapsed from exhaustion,” she said.

On Wednesday afternoon, a security guard found an unconscious Suyanti by a drain in Mutiara Damansara and her plight went viral on social media.

Her employer surrendered to the police at about 10.30pm the same day.

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED