Translate

09 February 2017

World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has had it with what he regards as the “high-handed action” of Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost.

Chong Wei ready to quit BAM due to Dane’s ‘high-handed action’


 
KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has had it with what he regards as the “high-handed action” of Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost.
The two have had a very frosty relationship and it all boiled over yesterday – with Chong Wei saying he’s ready to quit BAM.
And the straw that broke the camel’s back was the knee injury that Chong Wei suffered when he slipped and fell at the newly-opened Academy Badminton Malaysia in Bukit Kiara on Saturday.
Chong Wei tore the medial collateral ligament (MCL) on his left knee and is ruled out of next month’s All-England.
“I’ve lost my patience with Morten. This injury is the last straw,” said Chong Wei.
“What’s even more hurtful was the way Morten handled my injury.
“Instead of asking about my condition, he asked my coach (Hendrawan) whether I would retire ... why?
“Doesn’t he want me to play on? I’m hurt.”
Chong Wei said that he had told Hendrawan to inform Frost and BAM general manager Lawrence Chew about the slippery mat at the new court.
The shuttler claims that the duo did not take action quick enough, thus resulting in him slipping and injuring himself.
But Chong Wei’s unhappiness with Frost began way before all this.
In fact, according to Chong Wei, it began during the build-up to the Rio Olympic Games when the Dane stopped the junior players from sparring with him.
The three-time Olympic silver medallist questioned the rationale behind Morten’s decision to divide the men’s singles players into two groups.
Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bock handle the first group, which includes Chong Wei, Indonesian coach Indra Wijaya handles the second group comprising juniors.
“Morten does not want me to spar with the juniors ... why? When I was a junior, I sparred with my seniors. He did this even before the Olympic Games,” said Chong Wei.
“And why break the team into two? Won’t the juniors benefit by sparring with the seniors?
“He does not want to listen. Sports and politics should not mix, but I think Morten is doing just that.
“There are other things too ... involving other players. Everyone is keeping quiet, but not me.
“I’ve been upset with him for some time, but I didn’t make a hue and cry because of Hendrawan.
“Hendrawan kept telling me to be patient and I respected that.
“Now, I’ve lost my patience and I’m angry ... if there’s no solution, I’ll quit BAM.”
Chong Wei later met BAM president Tan Sri Mohd Al-Amin Abdul Majid over dinner to discuss his future in the BAM.
When contacted, Frost – who joined BAM in January 2015 – said: “It’s best that I don’t comment.”

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2017/02/08/from-frosty-to-icy-chong-wei-ready-to-quit-bam-due-to-danes-highhanded-action/#IDVoV3gmKUaAsgjV.99

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED