Translate

23 December 2015

Complaints Counter set up at Kota Roya by KPDNKK received long list of complaints on handphone shop that was attacked


Long list of complaints against shop involved in fracas at Kota Raya


Airing their grouses: People lining up to lodge complaints at the counter manned by officers from the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry at the Kota Raya shopping complex. —KAMARUL ARIFFIN/ The Star
Airing their grouses: People lining up to lodge complaints at the counter manned by officers from the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry at the Kota Raya shopping complex. —KAMARUL ARIFFIN/ The Star
 
PETALING JAYA: Just days after the fracas at the Kota Raya shopping complex, disgruntled consumers were back, this time armed with a long list of complaints.
They came to lodge reports at the complaints counter operated by the Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry, which opened on Monday.
The strange thing was that almost all the complainants, mostly fo­­reigners, pointed their fingers at one handphone shop – the one that was attacked on Sunday.
Bangladeshi Redowan Hassan, 22, claimed the stall clerk there did not give him the phone after he had made payment for.
“I was told to come back at night to collect the phone but it was closed.
“All I have from him is just the receipt,” said Redowan.
A woman who wished to be called “Jasmine” said she learned about the shop’s reputation after numerous media reports.
She had bought a phone on Dec 7 for RM2,050, but she later found out that the model was priced at only RM800.
“It was only later that I checked with the distributors after reading the news.
“They told me I had been cheated,” said the 53-year-old Malaysian.
An Indonesian maid called Vivian said the shop had cheated her multiple times.
“When I bought my phone, the price tag was RM300 and I paid upfront.
“But when the receipt came, the total was RM1,600. I was shocked and asked for my money back but they refused to give me the phone or my cash.
“As I had no money to pay the remaining sum, I had to borrow money from my employer to get the phone,” claimed the 43-year-old.
She added that the purchased phone was faulty and she had to pay for the “repairs” numerous times.
Asked about the many complaints against the same shop, the ministry’s enforcement director Mohd Roslan Mahyudin said he would wait for all the complaints before taking action against it.
“As of now, we have only complaints. Action will be taken after investigations,” said Roslan.
He added that consumers should use the proper channels to voice complaints.
“Of course, I urge the public to follow the law.
“If it’s a consumer or counterfeit problem, they can lodge a report with the ministry.
“We will investigate and take action,” said Roslan.
His statement echoed that of Dang Wangi deputy police chief Supt Habibi Majinji who had warned the public not to take the law into their own hands.

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED