Translate

05 November 2018

Wan Hamidi Hamid, the former editor-in-chief of DAP mouthpiece The Rocket, will not be appointed as the new Bernama CEO


Wan Hamidi: I was initially offered Bernama CEO post, now it's not happening


Monday, 5 Nov 201810:28 AM MYT





PETALING JAYA: Wan Hamidi Hamid, the former editor-in-chief of DAP mouthpiece The Rocket, will not be appointed as the new Bernama chief executive officer.

"I have been informed that I would not be appointed as the Bernama CEO. This is despite being initially offered, persuaded and convinced to accept this job at the national news agency," he said on a Facebook post on Monday (Nov 5).


Wan Hamidi said he would not be answering any queries on the matter for now, and said that this should be directed at the Bernama board, Cabinet Ministers or "those people and racial groups including some media and news portals that hate DAP".

He explained that he had 30 years of experience in the journalism and communications field.


"I also had a stint with the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur as its media relations advisor. The last position I held was deputy director for Research for Social Advancement (Refsa), a progressive think tank," he said.

Wan Hamidi added that although he had not been active in the mainstream media for the past few years, he had continued to write as a columnist for news portals Malaysiakini and The Malaysian Insight, as well as writing and editing books.

"For those who are wondering, I actually believe in free press and freedom of expression, although we know that in the Malaysian context, it's easier said than done. But, we must never give up. We must keep on moving. So there," he said.

Wan Hamidi was previously speculated to replace outgoing Bernama CEO Zulkefli Salleh.

Former culture and information minister Tan Sri Rais Yatim had said that he was not in favour of Wan Hamidi being appointed to the position, claiming that this would politicise the news agency.

Wan Hamidi worked with The Star from 1994-1995 and 1997-1999.


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/11/05/wan-hamidi-i-was-initially-offered-bernama-ceo-now-its-not-happening/#A9CoU9j1ivcpePaP.99






BERNAMA CEO

After being a target of lies, unfair condemnations and personal attacks for quite some time, I have been informed that I would NOT be appointed as the Bernama CEO. This is despite being initially offered, persuaded and convinced to accept this job at the national news agency.

My apologies but I won’t be replying to any queries. So please don’t waste your time trying to message me or call me about this. Now is not the time, sorry.
...
If you’re really want to know, perhaps you should you ask the Bernama Board or the Cabinet Minister(s), or those people and racial groups including some media and news portals that hate DAP. Perhaps they know more.

For those who didn’t know me (including those who had vilified me) let me share with you this info - I have 30 years’ experience in journalism and communications. I have worked with Berita Harian, The Star, The Sun, Straits Times Singapore, New Straits Times, and The Malaysian Insider, as well as DAP’s Rocket Publications.
I also had a stint with the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur as its media relations advisor. The last position I held was Deputy Director for Research for Social Advancement (REFSA), a progressive think tank.
Despite not being active in the mainstream media in recent years, I continue to write as columnist for news portals Malaysiakini and The Malaysian Insight. I have also written and edited some books.
For those who're wondering, I actually believe in free press and freedom of expression, although we know that in the Malaysian context, it's easier said than done. But we must never give up. We must keep on moving. So there.
Happy Deepavali and Salam Perjuangan!
WAN HAMIDI HAMID

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED