Translate

07 September 2018

PM Tun Dr Mahathir offered Anwar Ibrahim IIUM presidency first, but he declined


Anwar: PM offered me IIUM presidency first, but I did not want it


Thursday, 6 Sep 201811:16 PM MYT
by tarrence tan



PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has revealed that Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad offered him the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) president position.

“I don’t have any positions now. In fact, I told Dr Mahathir that I don’t want any (positions).


“Recently I was proposed to be the IIUM president, but I did not want it,” he told a crowd during a Pakatan Harapan ceramah perdana for the Seri Setia by-election on Thursday (Sept 6).

Anwar’s revelation came two days after Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik was appointed IIUM president on Tuesday.
Dr Maszlee's appointment as IIUM's president has drawn criticism from both sides of the political divide, saying that there was "clear conflict of interest".

However, on Thursday (Sept 6), IIUM came to the defence of Dr Maszlee, saying that he is the best candidate for the position and he won’t be receiving a salary for that role.

The incoming PKR president also reiterated his wish for Malaysians to give full support to Dr Mahathir in administering the country.

“When it’s my turn, then give me support. For now, support Halimey on the 8th,” he quipped, while referring to Halimey Abu Bakar, Pakatan’s choice to take on the polls.

According to Anwar, Halimey was chosen to take on the Seri Setia polls because he is a local in the constituency with an impeccable track record as a former Petaling Jaya councillor.

“There are many people qualified to be candidates. But we chose Halimey because he has a track record and he represent the spirit of our struggles in Pakatan.”

Halimey is set to take on two-term PAS assemblyman Dr Halimah Ali on the Seri Setia by-elections on Saturday (Sept 8), which will run concurrently with the Balakong polls.


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/09/06/anwar-dr-m-offered-me-uia-first/#0zY4QciKKt6VHZSG.99

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED