Translate

31 August 2018

Azizulhasni Awang Wins Cycling Sprint Gold at Asian Games 2018





The moustache comes off for Azizul after sprint gold

CYCLING


Friday, 31 Aug 2018


IT was time for the moustache to come off after Azizulhasni Awang kept to his word by delivering a cycling gold medal for Malaysia in superb style.

Azizul earned the perfect gift for the nation’s 61st Merdeka Day celebrations by powering his way to the sprint title at the Jakarta Interna­tional Velodrome yesterday.


The 30-year-old cyclist was all pumped up as he beat Tomohiro Fukaya of Japan in two heats to become the first Malaysian to win cycling’s blue riband event in Asian Games history and later shaved off his moustache at the side of the track.

“I went into the sprint with a game plan from the start and I also tried ways to make me look fierce at the start line,” said Azizul, who beat Josiah to win the keirin title in his Asiad debut in Guangzhou four years ago.

“I think, psychologically it helped to unsettle my rivals and these small things help add to my performance as you need to be very, very strong to win the sprint event.

“This gold medal is for my country. Selamat Hari Merdeka, Malaysia. I’m so happy I won the sprint to complete my individual Asian Games gold collection.

“I finished fourth twice before (Guangzhou 2010 and Incheon 2014) in sprint, so it’s a milestone for me today but it did not look easy,” said Azizul.

Azizul, who struggled with a viral infection and failed to finish on the podium at the Gold Coast Common­wealth Games in April, left them all trailing with one of his best performances in recent years yesterday.

Azizul became the first Malaysian cyclist since Josiah Ng in Busan in 2002 to reach the sprint final after he outsprinted South Korean Im Chae-bin, who broke the Games record in qualifying a day ago, in both semi-final heats.

He had defeated Japan’s Yuta Wakimoto in two heats as well in the quarter-finals.

“My most tense moment was against Chae-bin. I was confident after winning the first semi-final heat as I know I was just one step away from the final.

“I executed my plan well in the final against the Japanese cyclist and stayed focused.

“After winning the first race, I know I had no problem winning the gold. I saw that his fighting spirit was also down at that time.”

Azizul, in a buoyant mood, will be gunning for his second gold in Jakarta when he races in the men’s keirin on the final day of track competition today.

“The job is done and I want to go back to sleep and rest well so that I can be in top condition tomorrow,” he said.

“Keirin is very tactical and anything can happen. The best rider can go out in the first round and I can’t be too confident at the same time.”

Muhammad Shah Firdaus Sahrom failed in his bid to get a second medal for Malaysia in the sprint after he was edged by Chae-bin in three heats to decide who takes the bronze.

Anis Amira Rosidi and Farina Shawati Mohd Adnan failed to reach the women’s sprint quarter-finals earlier.

Anis lost to South Korean Cho Sun-young while Farina failed to get the better of Indonesian Putri Crismonita Devi in the one-lap duel at the last-16 stage.


Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/cycling/2018/08/31/cleancut-champion-the-moustache-comes-off-for-azizul-after-sprint-gold/#Kh2Xl7QRwkPKOOKf.99

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED