Translate

13 September 2013

UMNO LIFETIME MEMBER TO CHALLENGE SHAHRIZAT FOR TOP WANITA POST

Raihan determined to topple Shahrizat

Raihan Suleiman.
Raihan Suleiman.
PETALING JAYA: Umno lifetime member Raihan Suleiman is challenging Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil for the top Wanita post as she is determined to bring change to the party from within.
"In order to make a change in the party, I need to lead. I need to change it from within.
"I don't just talk. I need to show the people that I am capable of this," she told The Star Online, adding she would file her nomination papers on Sept 21.
When asked on the possible backlash she might receive following her announcement, she said she had "nothing to lose" by contesting.
"All this while, nobody from Umno came to help me, and my life remained the same.
"I can still eat, live and buy a house with my own money. I believe this all comes from God," she said.
Although her candidacy was announced almost the same time as Datuk Seri Azalina Othman (who has since pulled out of the contest), she was not surprised she was not on the media radar.
"Who am I compared to them, with positions and titles? I'm just a person who leads an ordinary life," said the former Wirawati Perkasa chief.
However Raihan, who is also a Kulim Bandar Baru Umno committee member, stressed that her intention to challenge Shahrizat was not to create friction within the party.
"How can I create friction if I have no supporters? Even if I do, I will tell them not to hate Shahrizat because God has given her a chance to lead again," she said.
The 47-year-old politician also believed that the party should give opportunities to new faces "that are clean that and have no liability" for the sake and future of the party.
"During the previous general election, I was so shocked to learn that the Wanita wing lacked capable, outspoken leaders like the opposition have.
"Why can't we groom all these new faces - especially the young generation - to become better speakers instead of just going out and fishing for votes?" she asked.

Source-The Star

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED