Tuesday, 10 July 2018

All 12 boys and their coach are safely out of the 4Km Thai caves after a 17-day ordeal From June 23rd that gripped the world

ALIVE: All 12 boys and their coach are safely out of the Thai caves after a 17-day ordeal that gripped the world

Getty Images/Business Insider
  • All 12 members of a Thai soccer team and their coach have been rescued from a cave where they were stranded by floodwater, rescuers said Tuesday.
  • The final four boys and their coach were confirmed rescued on Tuesday, ending a 17-day ordeal that gripped the world.
After surviving 17 days inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand, the final members of a Thai boys soccer team and their coach were rescued Tuesday, officials said.
After two days of rescue operations, only four of the 12 boys and the coach remained in need of rescue entering Tuesday. The final boy and the team’s 25-year-old coach were taken from the cave at 6:50 p.m. local time, about about six hours after Tuesday’s efforts began.
The Thai navy confirmed the news followed by their slogan “Hooyah!”

The navy described the rescues as nothing short of miraculous.

About 30 minutes after the rescues concluded, officials were still waiting for the remaining professsional divers who had been staying with the team to emerge from the cave.
Ambulances carrying the first of the newly rescued boys were seen leaving the cave at about 5:55 p.m.
That boy, the ninth rescued from the cave, was then transported via helicopter to the nearby Chiang Rai hospital as volunteers on the ground cheered and clapped.
Those rescued Tuesday will be joining their teammates in the hospital. Thai Navy SEALS expressed confidence that the entire team would be reunited by the evening.

Rescuers quickened the speed of the rescues as the days went on, learning and adapting during the rescue of four boys on both Sunday and Monday.
Thai Navy SEALS confirmed that the ninth boy had been extracted from the cave at 4:06 p.m.

Rescue personnel near the caves on Tuesday, the third day of rescues.
Rescue personnel near the caves on Tuesday, the third day of rescues.
REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun
The leader of the rescue operations, Narongsak Osatanakorn, had told a press conference on Tuesday that the mission, which he said began at 10:08 a.m. local time, was expected to conclude by the end of the day.
“Today we might have to wait longer, but it will be worth the wait,” he told reporters.
Onlookers cheered as ambulances delivered the rescued boys to a hospital in Chiang Rai, Thailand, on Sunday.
Onlookers cheered as ambulances delivered the rescued boys to a hospital in Chiang Rai, Thailand, on Sunday.
Lauren DeCicca/Getty Images
Osatanakorn said officials did not want to waste time because of intensifying rain that could halt rescue efforts.
“Water levels are the same like the last two days,” he said.
At least 19 divers were involved in the mission to bring the last four boys and their coach to safety.
thai soccer team cave rescue
Shayanne Gal/Business Insider
By Sunday morning, when rescue operations began, it had been nearly a week since the 12 boys, ages 11 to 16, and their coach were discovered on an embankment 2 1/2 miles, or 4 kilometers, inside the winding tunnels, where they became stranded by a flash flood at the beginning of the Thai rainy season. They went missing on June 23.
About 0.6 miles of the journey on Sunday was believed to be underwater, requiring the boys to wear full face masks.
In that mission, two divers accompanied each boy, guided by a rope. The boys were able to eventually walk to the mouth of the cave, which rescuers had pumped water from and worked to drain over the past few days despite heavy rains.
Officials at the Chiang Rai hospital said on Tuesday morning that the eight boys who had been rescued already were in good health and were recovering in the hospital.
The four boys who were rescued Sunday have been allowed to see their families through a glass window as doctors continue to conduct thorough health checks and monitor the boys for any contagious diseases. Psychologists have deemed them in a good mental state.
Doctors are also setting up a phone line inside the boys’ hospital room so they can speak with their parents.
The first thing the Thai boys rescued from a cave said was that they missed their homes and were happy to be out of the cave, officials said.
The boys have been eating a steady diet of diluted porridge, although they have been eagerly requesting spicy pork noodles which has been denied for now. They have requested bread and chocolate, which medical professionals have allowed.
Two of the rescued were reported to be battling a lung infection, although the boys were reported to be “cheerful” by medical professionals. The boys will remain in hospital for at least another week before being discharged to ensure they do not have any infectious diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Popular Posts - All Time


The best stories & news from The Star Online, NST, Malaysian Digest, Asiaone, Beautifulnara, Rotikaya, Ohbulan, TheMalayMailOnline, Siakap Keli, Malaysian Insider, Free Malaysia Today and Yahoo are shared in this BLOG

This Blog claims no credit for any images or stories on this site unless otherwise posted.

Post and Images on this blog are copyright to its respectful owners.

If there is a post or image appearing on this blog that belongs to you and do not wish for it to appear on this site, please email with a link to the said image, it will be promptly removed.