Translate

10 August 2024

Paris Olympics 2024: Imane Khelif wins women's boxing gold

 Paris Olympics 2024: Imane Khelif wins women's boxing gold

BERNAMA

10/08/2024Paris Olympics 2024: Imane Khelif wins women's boxing gold

Khelif kisses the gold medal she won in the women's 66kg boxing event. - AP photo

ANKARA: Algerian athlete Imane Khelif won the gold medal in the women's boxing event at the Roland-Garros Stadium, amid controversy over gender.

Khelif, 25, was crowned champion after defeating Yang Liu from China with a 5-0 result in the 66 kilogram category, Anadolu Agency reported .

The Algerian national athlete was previously disqualified from competing at the 2023 World Championships after failing a gender qualification test.



This is Algeria's first gold medal in women's boxing.

"I am very happy. For eight years, this has been my dream and now I am an Olympic champion and a gold medalist.

"I have worked hard for eight years, without sleep. Now I am an Olympic champion," said Khelif.

Who also praised Khelif.

"I tried my best, but my opponent was much better. He is an excellent boxer and very strong," said Yang.

Khelif's opening match at the Paris Games on August 1 against Italy's Angela Carini lasted just 46 seconds after the athlete withdrew from the match.

"I couldn't finish the match. I felt a strong pain in the nose," Carini said after the fight.

Carini later apologized for not shaking Khelif's hand after the Algerian boxer's victory.

Khelif managed to eliminate Carini (preliminaries), Hungary's Anna Luca Hamori (quarterfinals), Thailand's Janjaem Suwannapheng (semifinals) before defeating Yang in the final.

-- BERNAMA

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED