Translate

02 August 2014

Now Malaysian Badminton Players suffer shocking loss, as Indian Single Players knock out Malaysians Top Seeded Chong Wei Feng and Darren Liew

CGames: Malaysian top seed suffers badminton last-eight KO

EDITORS' PICKS

d
Top seed Chong Wei Feng of Malaysia was knocked out of the Commonwealth Games badminton men's singles at the quarter-final stage, losing a closely-fought contest to India's RV Gurusaidutt, ranked number 34 in the world.
Chong had spoken of his desire to defend the singles title won in Delhi four years ago by compatriot Lee Chong Wei, who pulled out of this year's Games due to injury, for his country.


But there will be no medal for Malaysia in the men's singles event at least after Liew Daren was also beaten by an Indian in Kashyap Parupalli, the second seed.

"Everything went wrong and I am very disappointed," said Chong. "I did not feel any pressure being top seed but I played too few attacking shots."
It was Gurusaidutt's first ever victory over the 18th ranked player in the world and he will now play Derek Wong of Singapore, who beat another Indian Srikanth Kidambi, in Saturday's semi-final.
"I was trying to get into the rhythm," he said. "There are many hopes on me for the medal in my country.
"There were long rallies going on and I was getting very tired but I think the game changed at 8-8 in the third game."
"There, I started attacking and that's where I started getting the points. I think my change of strategy really helped."
The top seed in the women's singles, PV Sindhu of India, did not suffer the same fate as Chong but has yet to produce top form so far as she bids to make up for finishing fourth with her country in the team event.
Canadian Michelle Li, who beat battling Englishwoman Sarah Walker, awaits next and Sindhu is aware of the task facing her.
"I think it will be a good match," she said. "The pressure is not too bad. I just have to do my best and focus on the next match."
"It was a bit disappointing we just missed out in the team event. You have to be focused on what is best for the team. It was tough but we had to deal with it."
"I hope I fulfil my expectations. Looking at the draw, I want a medal for sure and I wish to get gold but it will be tough."
Scotland's Kirsty Gilmour has a good chance of challenging Sindhu after she brushed past Michelle Chan 21-9, 21-10 for the second time in a week, after also beating the New Zealander in the team.
She now plays Michelle Chan in the semi-final on Saturday.
"I'd be disappointed to be the 25 per cent that doesn't get a medal. I'd be devastated but I am going to take it one game at a time," she said.
British pairings dominated proceedings in the mixed doubles quarter-finals with England's husband and wife team Chris and Gabby Adcock and Chris Langridge and Heather Olver winning along with Scotland's Robert Blair and Imogen Bankier.
Second seeds Danny Chrisnanta and Vanessa Neo of Singapore were knocked out in a thrilling finish to Peng Soon Chan and Lai Pei Jing of Malaysia.
There was a late surprise in the women's doubles as top seeds Sari Shinta Mulia and Yao Lei of Singapore crashed out to unseeded Malaysian pair Lim Loo Yin and Pei Jing Lai in a thriller 19-21, 22-20, 21-19.
Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily sports updates.

Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED