Translate

02 January 2017

Family ran helter-skelter to save themselves during the botched fireworks show to usher in the New Year in Klang

A botched show in Klang

THE STAR
     
    PORT KLANG: The New Year literally started with a bang for Tusni Mohd Rahman and his family as they ran helter-skelter to save themselves during the botched fireworks show to usher in the New Year.
    The 47-year-old lorry driver said the situation at the Pandamaran Sports Complex, where the show was held, was like a war zone with fireworks zooming in the direction of his family and other revellers.
    He said instead of going upwards, the fireworks were “shooting” sideways into the crowd.
    “It was frightening. All I could do was duck and scream for my family to stay low. Soon I was lying face down covering my head as the fireworks kept shooting towards me.
    “I could not see where my family members were because everyone was screaming and running hyste­rically,” he said when met at his home in Kampung Idaman here .
    The botched fireworks kept shooting into the crowd for close to five minutes.
    Tusni had brought his wife, daughter, niece and grandniece to Fiesta Gegar Klang 2016 carnival at the sports complex to usher in the New Year.
    He said the situation was very chaotic as some people were trampled on by others who were trying to save themselves.
    He said he only started looking for his family after the fireworks had completely stopped.
    “Most of them suffered from burns caused by the fireworks,” he said, adding that his wife Hanizah Abdul Rashid, 47, also had a cut on the left side of her head while his niece Diana Talaha, 31, and grandniece Nor Qaseh Ahmad Tarmizi, seven, suffered burns on their thighs.
    Tusni said the fireworks started going awry soon after the second box was lighted.
    “I was filming the fireworks on my smartphone and it was all good with the first box. But the second one went awry almost immediately. I think the launcher may have fallen down.
    “I hope the organisers will learn their lesson and never let this happen again,” he said.
    Despite her injuries, Hanizah said she was thankful that no one was killed.
    “It was supposed to be a joyous occasion, but it ended up as a rather traumatic encounter for all of us.
    “We will remember this rare incident for a long time to come,” said Hanizah, a homemaker.
    Nor Qaseh said she was happy to be able to watch the fireworks before school re-opens.
    “I like watching fireworks but it was scary when they exploded on the ground. I only remember my aunt pushing my head to the ground and I did not realise I was hurt,” she said.
    Asked if she would want to go and watch fireworks again, the bubbly girl said that next time, she would only watch from afar.

    Popular Posts - Last 7 days

    Popular Posts - Last 30 days

    Blog Archive

    LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED